Sunday, January 01, 2006

Madrid, ¡te quiero!

Happy new year!!!!

In typical fashion I avoided all alcohol last night. I make a point of starting the new year with a fresh head. Actually it isn´t too fresh on account of me going to bed at around 2am and getting up again at 4.30 to catch a flight to Madrid. I´ll sleep later. I´m here to catch up with two girlfriends from my August CELTA course. I know they´ve been out all night so I´m gonna wait till early evening to get in touch.

Touched down around 9.30, left my gear in Left Luggage and got the metro into the center. I wandered around Chueca, which was deserted, and then made my way down to the Puerta del Sol where everything was quite busy and bustly. Great to see people out enjoying the first day of the new year. It´s a little cold but there isn´t much wind and there´s a beautiful blue cloudless sky. It´s so therapeutic to have those skies above your head all day. Until you´ve moved out of Ireland and enjoyed them, you can´t really appreciate the difference weather makes to your life!

Was sitting waiting for the metro at Barajas airport today and reading the notices. I guess Spanish must be a bit of a headfuck for people who don´t speak it because so many words seem similar to ours. Take for example the following notice:

Metro le recuerda que existen asientos reservados en el vagón. Se recomienda cederlos a ancianos, embarazadas y discapacitados.

You could forgive somebody for thinking that meant: "Metro reminds you that there are seats in the carriages which are reserved for ancient, embarrassed and decapitated people."

Had to do the old sock and trouser fit check in Dublin airport. You take off your belt so they can see if your trousers are a good fit and you take off your shoes so they can make you feel ashamed of wearing socks with holes. The smell at the security check area was gross. What is wrong with my fellow Irish people? Where is their dignity? First on Friday, in the Long Hall with two friends, there was an awful smell of farts hanging in the air, and I swear I didn´t contribute even once to it. Then the pong of smelly feet at Dublin airport security check made me feel grateful I was heading back to sunny, personally hygienic Spain! Well, I´m off to stroll the city again. More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home